Social Security is one of the more complicated decisions that a client must consider. There are a multitude of rules that can have a significant impact on the amount your client will receive each month.
To help make it easier, we have created the “Will My Social Security Benefit Be Reduced?” flowchart. It is based on the Social Security Administration’s guide “Retirement Benefits”. It addresses common issues related to claiming social security:
- How to determine Full Retirement Age (FRA)
- Effects of marriage and divorce
- Implications of collecting before FRA vs. collecting at FRA vs. collecting after FRA
- Annual limits
- Impact if continuing to work
- How benefits will be taxed
Updated for 2019
This article represents opinions of the authors and not those of their firm and are subject to change from time to time, and do not constitute a recommendation to purchase and sale any security nor to engage in any particular investment or legal strategy. The information contained here has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed for accuracy.